Member Status: Accredited
Member No: NCS20-00646
Location: Aberdeen, Westhill & Inverurie
How do we engage in counselling sessions?
Through face to face contact, telephone counselling, skype video conferencing and other forms of social media and communication apps. Remote counselling has taken a greater significance over the last few years as an effective form of intervention.
What can you expect?
People tell me that I'm warm, funny and really good with people and I feel I bring this to my client work. I'm a great believer that clients need to feel safe and develop a sense of trust before the process of sharing can really evolve in to the dynamic process I believe provides the best opportunity for change and developing insight. I think what underpins this is the belief that a tight rope walker wont let go unless they feel they have a safety net to catch them, perhaps clients are the same in that regard. I firmly believe counselling is a collaborative process built on a strong therapeutic relationship between Counsellor and Client and there is lots of evidence to suggest the value of this is significant in the outcome for a client.
My professional experience:
In my role as an experienced counsellor over the last 20 + years or so I've worked with a wide range of clients in both in-patient settings and community. Dealing with issues such as Addiction, Stress, Trauma, Depression, Anxiety and Bereavement. I also work with not only individuals but also couples and have extensive experience of group work. My philosophy of counselling has evolved over the years but what has never changed is my dedication to the client centred approach and a desire to use my skills in an individual and holistic way to the benefit of the client.
Drugs & Alcohol:
Over the last few years I have developed a significant Outpatient Substance Misuse Treatment & Counselling service including structured treatment programmes tailored to the individuals requirements. In conjunction with this i also carry out rapid point of contact testing drug and alcohol screening in a variety of locations either onsite or office based.
- Qualifications & ExperienceInitially trained in the field of Addiction Counselling, working with clients experiencing dependency on Alcohol, Drugs & Gambling, later this also included aspects of Eating Disorders and Sex Addiction. I hold a Diploma from the Hazelden Foundation, a world leader in addiction treatment based in Minnesota, USA and I'm a fully Accredited Counsellor with the Federation of Drug & Alcohol Professionals. Further training followed in working with affected families, complex relationships and the wider spectrum of Mental Health & Emotional Well-being.
As a professional counsellor i believe we are always learning both directly and indirectly. I have a strong commitment to learning and continued professional development through reading, webinars, courses and colleague supervision. After many years dedicated to working in Addiction, I returned to University to undertake an honours degree in person centred Counselling & Psychotherapy. My current core certification includes the following:
Hazelden Diploma in Addiction Counselling
Diploma in Eating Disorder Training
Families & Working with Addicted Families Training
Drug Collection & Medical Review Officer Training
BA (Hons) in Counselling & Psychotherapy
Cosca Certificate in Clinical Supervision
Scotland's Mental Health First Aider Trained
Asist Suicide Prevention
I am now part of an Occupational Health practise and our core philosophy is client centred, flexible and adaptable across a range of private individuals, business and industry.
- What I can help with
- Abuse – Emotional, Physical, Sexual
- Addiction (e.g. Alcohol, Computer games, Drugs, Food, Gambling, Sex, Smoking)
- Ageing and related issues
- AIDS / HIV
- Anger Management
- Assertiveness / Self-confidence / Self-esteem
- Bereavement / Loss
- Cultural issues
- Divorce & Separation
- Eating disorders
- Emotional issues
- Financial difficulties
- Gender identity
- Generally unhappy with your life
- Illness and dying
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Parenting skills
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder / PTSD
- Pregnancy related issues
- Self-defeating behaviours
- Sexuality Identity
- Shyness / Social Phobia
- Suicidal feelings
- Violence / Victim support