Member Status: Accredited
Member No: NCS14-01594
I am an integrative counsellor and can reflect the individual’s needs by adapting therapy to the appropriate model be it person centred, psychodynamic or behavioural. I also practice Comprehensive Resource Model (CRM) therapy an exciting, innovative model that works by connecting body and brain alongside boosting internal resources to help the client move forward.
I also offer clinical supervision to counsellors in Edinburgh or Scottish Borders.
If you contact me I can promise that I will:-
1. Attempt to contact you by email or phone within two days
2. Make arrangements to conduct a free 20 minute phone consultation which will take place within five days
3. Be able to empathise with your situation and offer basic responses initially to foster confidence in the run up to the first appointment and start to establish a relationship
4. Arrange a first appointment to take place within seven days if that's suitable for you
Beginning - first session
There is usually some anxiety around attending for a first session, this is understandable, especially if counselling is something you've never experienced before. I offer a calm non-judgmental approach in order to help you to get used to this part of the counselling process. Establishing a trusting relationship is imperative in taking counselling forward and my aim is to do this in the first session or two.
In short the first session will be an opportunity to:-
1. Get to know each other
2. Establish a trusting relationship for you to be able to talk openly to me
3. Explore what your aims are for counselling and how we can work together to meet them
I can usually assess the appropriate length of the sessions, how long counselling will last and how regular the sessions should be. Counselling is usually in hourly sessions but the amount of weeks can vary greatly depending on your needs. We generally establish a mutually agreeable way forward at this stage.
Middle - this part of the counselling journey is where the therapeutic treatment becomes part of your life. The differences that counselling makes will be gradual yet sustainable, with an end date in mind it is often surprising how much a person can benefit from a short (or longer) programme.
1.This work will concentrate on the crux of the issues and I use my wide experience and skills to adopt appropriate models to bring about change.
2. With many years involvement in training and development I am also able to give more directive support for work and personal problems through coaching and mentoring.
3. Your therapy will be given my full attention and confidentiality is assured in a non-judgemental environment. I am ready to support you in moving on to a better place in a holistic manner.
Ending - Bringing our professional and therapeutic relationship to an end is an important aspect of counselling. I am conscious that clients come to rely on the weekly engagement in therapy so stopping that can be a challenge. However, depending on the length of therapy, I always take a flexible approach in balancing your new capabilities and confidence with an appropriate closure.
I work in the Scottish Borders and Edinburgh, it costs nothing to email me and one email may help you to change your life.
- Qualifications & ExperienceMy History
1. I came to be a therapist via a different route than most people in that I had a very successful career in prisons where I graduated from being a prison officer to attain senior management roles.
2. Alongside this career I worked as a volunteer support worker and counsellor and have worked in all areas including supporting survivors of sexual crime and other post-traumatic stress areas.
3. I also worked tirelessly in prisons to support staff after incidents, work related stress and to raise awareness and support for prisoners who were also survivors of abuse.
4. I was heavily involved in training and development in all of the roles that I performed. As such I also teach students who are studying for a Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling.
I feel that my career, training and experience as a counsellor give me a lot of skills to help people in a lot of areas from relationship problems, to bereavement, to complex trauma, workplace stress etc.
My qualifications are:-
Advanced Professional Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling
Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling
Certificate in Counselling
Certificate in Comprehensive Resource Model
Accredited Member of National Counselling Society.
I also have a Master's Degree in Business Administration, a Diploma in Management Studies and a Certificate in Management Studies.
I regularly undertake continuous professional development to ensure that I maintain a wide range of counselling, coaching and mentoring skills.
- What I can help with
- Abuse – Emotional, Physical, Sexual
- Addiction (e.g. Alcohol, Computer games, Drugs, Food, Gambling, Sex, Smoking)
- AIDS / HIV
- Anger Management
- Assertiveness / Self-confidence / Self-esteem
- Autistic Spectrum Disorders
- Bereavement / Loss
- Children / teenagers
- Chronic fatigue syndrome / M.E.
- Cultural issues
- Divorce & Separation
- Driving tests
- Eating disorders
- Emotional issues
- Financial difficulties
- Gender identity
- Generally unhappy with your life
- IBS / Digestive Issues
- Illness and dying
- Immune system support
- Job interviews
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Parenting skills
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder / PTSD
- Public speaking: stage fright
- Self-defeating behaviours
- Sexuality Identity
- Shyness / Social Phobia
- Sporting performance
- Start exercising
- Stop smoking
- Suicidal feelings
- Violence / Victim support
- Languages Spoken