Dr Theresa Cheng
Member Status: Accredited
Member No: NCS17-05238
Location: Milton Keynes
I work with adult individuals, couples and groups in various capacities from different contexts, offering psychotherapy, consultation and supervision in Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire. My practice ethos places an emphasis on respect, integrity and trust in therapy. My aim is to help individuals to address their concerns in their current life situation, by integrating appropriate therapeutic approaches that are tailored for meeting each individual’s needs. This may mean making changes in life, learning new ways of managing and relating to challenges/difficulties, improving relationships or simply gaining a better understanding of self and others in life circumstances.
I adopt a relational approach to therapy, believing in the dynamic therapeutic process and alliance that is based on a unique and professional relationship between me and my clients. I respect individual differences with regard to your subjective lived experiences in an open and non-judgmental manner.
- Qualifications & ExperienceI have obtained a BSc (Hons) degree in Psychology at the University of Bedfordshire, and a Professional Doctorate degree (DProf) in Counselling Psychology at the London Metropolitan University. I am a chartered and registered member (CPsychol) of the British Psychological Society (BPS) and a full member of the Division of the Counselling Psychology. I have been nominated as a senior associate member of the Royal Society of Medicine (Sr. Assoc. RSM) in recognition of my contributions to the field of Cognitive and Behavioural Therapy (CBT) practice and research which span more than five years.
- What I can help with
- Abuse – Emotional, Physical, Sexual
- Addiction (e.g. Alcohol, Computer games, Drugs, Food, Gambling, Sex, Smoking)
- Ageing and related issues
- Anger Management
- Assertiveness / Self-confidence / Self-esteem
- Bereavement / Loss
- Cultural issues
- Eating disorders
- Generally unhappy with your life
- Illness and dying
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Parenting skills
- Shyness / Social Phobia
- Suicidal feelings
- Violence / Victim support
- Languages Spoken