Member Status: Accredited
Member No: NCS20-02133
Location: Henley on Thames
I specialise in working with bereavement and loss. Having personally experienced the traumatic death of a close family member, I really understand the shock, pain, isolation and/or anger that you may be feeling. I strongly believe that with the right support, it is possible to regain a sense of hope for your future.
Who Do I Work With?
I support clients nationally who have suffered loss of all types.
Bereavement: You may have lost a family member, a child, a friend or colleague. Sometimes a cherished pet can trigger difficult feelings too. If there are traumatic events around a death, the feelings of shock and bewilderment can be profound and far-reaching.
Loss: If you have lost your home, a job and/or a relationship this can be extremely difficult. I can help you process feelings and try to find meaning and hope when life looks meaningless.
If your self-esteem, confidence or hope have been shattered by trauma or loss, I can work with you to recover some sense of a 'new normal'. I cannot promise it will be easy, but I can promise to stay alongside you, at your own pace, along the way.
Bereavement and loss can happen at any time, and sometimes we may have other life issues to cope with at the same time eg family or health related. For this reason I help with a range of subjects that you may wish to cover in your therapy. Please see the section ‘Can Help With’ for more details. Please note this is not an exhaustive list.
How I Work:
I have benefitted from personal therapy over the years, so quite simply, I know that therapy works, and I want it to work for you too.
I qualified as an Integrative counsellor with focus on the Person-centred talking therapy model. Person-centred means that as you share your thoughts and feelings, you will be listened to with respect, compassion and empathy. The cornerstone of this approach is support through non-judgmental active listening.
The beauty of talking therapy is that we work with what you choose to share each session. The act of speaking plus the art of active listening can combine with surprising results e.g. Insight, understanding, self-compassion...
Treatment will be tailored to your needs at all times: you will always be in control of your therapy and it's duration. This adheres to the ethical guideline that a client should experience autonomy regarding their therapeutic process.
"I can already feel a weight lifting off me from talking to you" DS
"Things are starting to make a bit more sense" BW
"I feel more normal than I have for years" KA
- Qualifications & Experience- Specialist Bereavement Counsellor with Cruse Bereavement Care, Oxford
- Sudden and Traumatic Death certificate, Cruse Bereavement Care, Oxford
- AIM Awards Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling
- Advanced Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling, Chrysalis
- Universal Safeguarding for Children certificate, Time to Talk/Adviza, Reading
- Youth Counsellor at Time to Talk, Reading
- BA Honours 1st class: European Humanities
Registered Member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy
- What I can help with
- Abuse – Emotional, Physical, Sexual
- Addiction (e.g. Alcohol, Computer games, Drugs, Food, Gambling, Sex, Smoking)
- Ageing and related issues
- AIDS / HIV
- Anger Management
- Assertiveness / Self-confidence / Self-esteem
- Autism & Aspergers Syndrome
- Bereavement / Loss
- Childbirth: fertility
- Childbirth: labour
- Childbirth: pregnancy
- Chronic fatigue syndrome / M.E.
- Cultural issues
- Divorce & Separation
- Driving tests
- Eating disorders
- Emotional issues
- Financial difficulties
- Gender identity
- Generally unhappy with your life
- IBS / Digestive Issues
- Illness and dying
- Immune system support
- Job interviews
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Parenting skills
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder / PTSD
- Pregnancy related issues
- Public speaking: stage fright
- Self-defeating behaviours
- Sexuality Identity
- Shyness / Social Phobia
- Sporting performance
- Start exercising
- Stop smoking
- Suicidal feelings
- Violence / Victim support