Mrs Bernadette Gough
Member Status: Accredited
Member No: BG00P03
What is Emotional Therapy?
Emotional Therapy is a means of helping people who are suffering emotional turmoil in their lives, whether brought about by a crisis, a long term problem, persistent unhappiness, depression, apathy or difficulties in relating to others. Emotional therapy holds the belief that emotional well being can be identified as a sense of fulfillment, satisfaction and enjoyment simply in being you. When this is not something you can identify with, Emotional Therapy can help in the following ways.
How does Emotional Therapy help?
• You may not know what the problem is
• You may know but do not know what to do about it
• You may feel you are repeating past mistakes and/or following unhelpful patterns of behaviour
• You may want to make changes within your life but do not know how to, or what is stopping you
Emotional Therapy provides a safe, confidential, non-judgmental place where you can,
• Talk about the difficulties you are experiencing
• Reach an understanding about where these difficulties have come from and how they have arisen
• Recognise, release and resolve unhelpful patterns of thinking
• Recognise, release and resolve painful feelings in an appropriate manner
• Begin the process of change
Emotional Therapy works in partnership with you, at a pace that feels comfortable for you.
My training in herbal medicine complements my counselling work and vice versa. Herbal Medicine works on emotional, mental, spiritual and physical levels. Therefore, although I offer counselling alone or combined with herbal medicine, you benefit from my training in both if you decide that counselling alone is what you need.
To help you decide if you need both approaches, here is one example of how it works. Because of your difficulties, you may have sleep disturbance, depression, mood swings, high blood pressure, irritable bowel etc. Herbal medicine can resolve these symptoms of stress, freeing you to address the cause of stress in counselling sessions more effectively. However, sometimes these same symptoms may be caused by a physiological imbalance. When the imbalance is corrected herbally, the symptoms are resolved and life may not seem so problematic. It really depends on the individual, which is why my approach is person centred. One thing we all have in common is that we are unique.
I am a registered member of the National Institute of Medical Herbalists. The Institute was established in 1864 and is the UK's leading professional body representing herbal medicine practitioners.The first visit to a medical herbalist can be a life changing experience, a chance to experience true healthcare as it should be practised. Further detail may be found on the institute's website whose address may be found below.
My practice includes people of all ages, as well as couples and families who between them present with many of the problems and heartaches experienced today. Some of these issues are resolved quite quickly, some need more time. Appointments include evenings and weekends as well as daytime.
Thank you for reading my profile
- Qualifications & Experience• Foundation of Emotional Therapy Diploma (emotionaltherapy.co.uk)
• Accredited member of the National Counselling Society (www.nationalcounsellingsociety.org).
• Herbal Medicine, BSc. (Hons).
• Member of the National Institute of Medical Herbalists (www.nimh.org.uk).
• MSc., Cert Ed.
• Ongoing continuous professional development in both emotional therapy and herbal medicine in accordance with the requirements of both professional organisations.
• Police Enhanced Disclosure for children and vulnerable adults.
- What I can help with
- Abuse – Emotional, Physical, Sexual
- Addiction (e.g. Alcohol, Computer games, Drugs, Food, Gambling, Sex, Smoking)
- Ageing and related issues
- Anger Management
- Assertiveness / Self-confidence / Self-esteem
- Bereavement / Loss
- Cultural issues
- Divorce & Separation
- Eating disorders
- Financial difficulties
- Generally unhappy with your life
- Illness and dying
- Parenting skills
- Sexuality Identity
- Shyness / Social Phobia
- Suicidal feelings
- Young people and children
- Languages Spoken