Mr Aaren Smith
Member Status: Accredited
Member No: NCS18-07011
Hi there, my name is Aaren. I am a fully qualified Humanistic Counsellor. However before talking about my qualifications and training, I would instead like to focus on what therapy can give you as a client and in turn what you can expect from working with me.
Why you might be seeking help:
• You feel stuck with an issue in your life which you have tried to cope with by yourself, but you are finding it harder to live with and want help in changing this.
• You feel like you want more from life but have noticed that you have built up negative patterns or cycles in your life which result in you missing out on opportunities which would help give you a more fulfilling and meaningful life.
• You feel that you are in some way stuck in the past, where experiences you had as a child or teenager continue to affect you and determine your life today.
What I aim to give you as your therapist:
• HONESTY: I believe in taking a direct approach. No one is perfect and we can all fall into negative habits of behaviour or self-sabotage opportunities for growth. Essential to any therapeutic relationship is knowing that you can trust your therapist to not only be there for you when you are struggling but also to be honest and direct with you to help you challenge yourself and get more of what you want in life.
• CONSISTENCY: Many of us have experienced home environments or relationships in life where we haven’t been able to rely on those around us or have been let down. I am committed to a therapeutic connection of reliability and consistency.
• CARE: My decision to be a counsellor is due in part to my own mental health experiences. These experiences coupled with my own journey of therapy and personal development are what I believe help me to stand apart from other practitioners. I am passionate about helping others create real and lasting changes in their lives. I truly care and listen to my clients and my own personal experiences help to attune my understanding of what is required.
I am a fully qualified humanistic counsellor, a registered member with The National Counselling Society. Aside from my private work, I am employed as a counsellor with Kooth plc. I have over six years’ experience working in the field of mental health.
I have training in:
• Comparative Humanistic Counselling
• Working with Addictions
• Sex and Sexuality
• Solution Focussed Brief Therapy
• ACES (Trauma Informed Practice)
While I am flexible in working with a range of issues, I have previous experience of supporting people with:
• Anxiety (Including Social Anxiety)
• Trauma or Abuse
• Eating Disorders
• Low Self Esteem
• Suicidal Thoughts / Self Harm
- Qualifications & ExperienceBachelor of Arts with Honours in Humanistic Counselling Practice
- What I can help with
- Abuse – Emotional, Physical, Sexual
- Addiction (e.g. Alcohol, Computer games, Drugs, Food, Gambling, Sex, Smoking)
- Assertiveness / Self-confidence / Self-esteem
- Autistic Spectrum Disorders
- Eating disorders
- Emotional issues
- Generally unhappy with your life
- Panic attacks
- Suicidal feelings
- Young people and children
- Languages Spoken