Member Status: Accredited
Member No: NCS19-08629
I work with a wide variety of people from all walks of life to help you unlock your potential. From experience I see how helping you understand your inner world enhances your work, relationships and your life as a whole.
I believe we decide how we want to live – we create our own life story. It would be my privilege to work with you to help you create yours.
Our sessions together will – I hope – be interesting and rewarding. You decide your focus and what we talk about, and even if sometimes they may feel challenging (we need to stretch ourselves to learn), I will always keep your best interests firmly at heart.
With me you'll get a two-way conversation, though mostly I listen. You set the agenda and we go at your pace. Emotions are allowed, swearing is allowed, you can talk about what you like. A session is a unique time for you to be you.
I draw on a variety of techniques and tailor them to you to help you towards your goals – I’ll share theory if it helps, and creative methods if you like. Above all, I always aim to be warm, non-judgemental, supportive and enlightened.
- Open-ended therapy: regular sessions to explore any aspect of your life – whatever is important to you or troubling you. We review and agree each phase periodically.
- Goal-focussed counselling: where we work to an agreed timescale or number of sessions to focus on a particular area or goal of yours.
- Career & Leadership Development: leading is more than knowledge or technical ability. It takes an emotionally intelligent and resilient character to lead successfully. And to thrive means maintaining that. It’s a tricky path at the top – I can help.
How do I work?
I mainly use Transactional Analysis – one of the cornerstones of modern psychology – and I draw on other methods and models where helpful. When I discovered Transactional Analysis it appealed to me immediately for its accessible, down-to-earth language and approach – and because research shows it works. It’s been around for 70 years, it’s internationally recognised and empirically-based – making this approach theoretically sound, rigorous and effective.
My original degree was a BSc in Psychology, before a twenty-year career in law, business and marketing. I then returned to my passion of psychology and working with people via 4 years of masters-level training. My training gives me the expertise; my own life experience adds the colour.
- Qualifications & Experience1) 4 years+ of my own personal psychotherapy – I list this first as I believe the effectiveness of any therapist is strongly linked to the level of their own self-awareness.
2) Diploma in Counselling (advanced Transactional Analysis, Level 6) – a three-year course Accredited by the National Counselling Society giving a solid grounding in human development, mental experience and practical skills. I’ve studied and have experience of various “labels” you may have heard of – anxiety, panic attacks, trauma, depression, bereavement and loss, narcissism, sex and sexuality. However to me these are all normal parts of the human experience – what matters is to what extent you feel distressed or limited.
3) Psychotherapist (Level 7) – I finish the 4th and final year of the formal 4-year training to be a Psychotherapist in July 2022. This will give me Accreditation by the UK Council for Psychotherapy.
4) Advanced Certificate in Counselling – skills based applied practice.
5) BSc Hons Psychology (1st class) – the academic scientific study of the human mind and its functions, especially those affecting behaviour. This does not qualify anyone to practice with clients; I list it to show my long-term interest.
- What I can help with
- Abuse – Emotional, Physical, Sexual
- Addiction (e.g. Alcohol, Computer games, Drugs, Food, Gambling, Sex, Smoking)
- Anger Management
- Assertiveness / Self-confidence / Self-esteem
- Bereavement / Loss
- Divorce & Separation
- Emotional issues
- Generally unhappy with your life
- Job interviews
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Parenting skills
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder / PTSD
- Self-defeating behaviours
- Shyness / Social Phobia
- Start exercising
- Stop smoking
- Suicidal feelings
- Languages Spoken